Sunday, March 7, 2010

Did you hear? Boilerman - Demo 2010

To prepare you for the arrival of Cat Plaza Volume 3, I'm uploading Boilerman's new demo tape.  I reviewed two of their shows in the upcoming issue, and I want you to hear their music before reading those reviews. I want you to hear the music because it's really good.

Is there a pop-punk revival going on right now or did that end already? I get invited to pop-punk shows on Facebook once in awhile, but no thanks I don't want to see Teenage Bottlerocket live.  I do, however, want to see bands that sound like the Broadways. Thus, I always want to see Boilerman.

I like my songs catchy, and I especially like when the catchiness comes from the music.  In other words, I'm not a big fan of these power choruses I sometimes hear with like, every member of the band singing along.  I understand that this technique can get drunk dudes with mustaches to go wild at your shows, but that's not for me.  I prefer speed, buried vocals, and rockin' out instrumental sections (you hear: this). I really like "Boo Radley Game" from 1:13 on and "Whipping Boys" from 2:15 on.  I haven't had much of an opportunity to read the lyrics booklet, but I don't think these songs are about girls.  If your songs aren't going to be about girls, what do you write about?  I don't know, maybe you can help me understand.  Politics?

Get it here!   
Bandcamp!

No comments: