Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Did you hear? Will Noise

 
Few recordings have achieved the legendary status of Will's Noise project.  And to think these five songs almost never saw the light of day.

The story goes like this.  Sometime in high school, Will, a founding member of 3B, told the rest of 3B that he had made some demented recordings on his computer.  He used these recordings to wake his brother late at night, and then got grounded because, as I mentioned, these recordings are demented.  Five 30-second bursts of screaming and noise-making that would swell Jonathan Davis's Korn-heart (I'm sure Davis's ramblings on "Freak on a Leash" inspired Will- he did a killer impression).  Imagine waking up at 2 AM to Noise

Will kept Noise to himself despite unrelenting pressure from 3B to leak it.  Then one day after cross country practice, he told us we could hear the songs.  I don't think I've ever had more anticipation or laughed harder than when I first heard Noise.  This is a great example of outsider art; who will disagree with me?  It's hard to listen to this distorted garbage- the spikes, the ear-piercing frequencies, the sheer volume of it.  Even the track order is perfect.  So many rumors of a sequel, but he has officially squashed them.  This was a one-time-only deal, and I am glad I was there to witness it firsthand.  

I often played Noise at college parties to the horror of my guests.  Tell me what you think, and feel free to share your personal experiences.  What is your favorite Noise track?  It's hotly debated.  I like...

 CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

No comments: