Monday, March 16, 2009

Remembering Mojo Music Part 6

One of the only new releases I bought at Mojo Music was this new Alkaline Trio record called Crimson. It must have been 2005 cuz I got it the day it came out. Anyway, I wasn't expecting much since Good Mourning let me down. At the time, I thought it topped considerably, but now I'm not so sure. Their releases post-Asian Man have been one long sigh after another- good records that are shells of what was. (See my Agony & Irony review from 2008).

Crimson has some fun songs. In "Time to Waste," lyrics like "Such a basketcase, hide the cutlery" prevent me from totally rocking out, but the music's pretty cool still. "Mercy Me" always impressed me. It felt like an Infirmary b-side. Some songs flop really bad, like "Smoke" and "Burn" (though the ending of the latter is sweet). Crimson is a nice addition to the catalog for when you want to shuffle around, but as albums go, stick with the older ones. One positive: Matt's voice sounds a lot better than on Good Mourning. 2005-Pat liked this record more that 2009-Pat does.

No comments: